The honeycomb tombs of Dimiao's Ermita Ruins


Ermita Ruins

Beside the huge centuries-old Dimiao church is Ermita Ruins that was built between 1800 and 1815 by Fr.Enrique de Santo de Villanueva. Ermita ruins resemble Paco Cemetery. It has a surrounding wall arranged like honeycomb-like tombs, which make it the only structure unique to the Philippines.

Ermita Ruins

I have not known any historical fact about the place until I read about the dilapidated marker. But the other parts were no longer readable that I did not bother to comprehend it.

Ermita Ruins

While photographing, I felt something eerie about the place that I decided not to linger. A few photographs, I thought, was more than enough. I am one person who can feel a presence of ghosts or spirits, but I just do not entertain them.

I have not told this to my companions. I did not know if it was the looming rain, but it was not. I just did not like what I felt.  It was dense, chaotic, or "noisy" despite the fact that it was totally a deserted place. There seems to be a confusion.

Ermita Ruins

Recognizing this, I had to "ask permission" that I will just take photos of the place and thanked them afterward. I wished I could capture something through my lens, but there was none. Thank heavens!

Be that as it may, I was trying to find out more about this place and found Dimiao's website and I was stunned by what I read about its past.

The rest of the photos are here.



Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!



Thank you for reading The Pinoy ExplorerAll contents of this blog, or otherwise stated, are copyrighted. For syndication, use of articles and photos, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

6 comments :

Earl (Suroy Pilipinas) said...

the last photo looks eerie nga. haunting but beautiful. :)

Adelle said...

the look of the place gives me the shivers...the tombs look really eerie..like some disembodied hand will grab your leg as you walk by..

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, Earl!

Admin/Author said...

Indeed, Adelle! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Because of this post, I learned about the meaning of Ermita. A small church or chapel in a lonely place. But opposite to what I have known as Ermita today, the place is not lonely. Its a total opposite, its so noisy, overcrowded and the other way around. :-).

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, Bonz. Yeah, my realization, too!