Visiting Catarman's Cathedral


Catarman Cathedral

On a Sunday I roamed around Catarman downtown for a street photography. Not exactly sure how the people would react to a street photographer like me, I shelved the idea. Instead, I proceeded to Catarman's Church of the Our Lady of the Annunciation.

I have seen the church several times on my way to field work, and I thought that it would be an exquisite subject with its pale blue paint and not an electric or telephone wire obstructing the view.

Catarman Cathedral

As in olden days, the church is strategically located in front of the Plaza and right across the town hall. The Sunday masses has ended and it was almost time for lunch. After saying a prayer, I did some quick shots of the exterior and interior of the church.

Catarman Cathedral

The church had been renovated and expanded. It used to be a stone church. Unfortunately, it was too late when I realized this when I saw the transept with the stones still intact and not finished with cement. I think this is the only remaining part of the old church that stands to this day.

Catarman Cathedral

One interesting part of the church is its retablo that is lit up at night. Unfortunately, though, I was not able to get a photo of the church at night since it would be disrespectful in the time of worship.

The bright shiny mid-day and the blue sky with a bit of cloud as a backdrop made it was just perfect for photographing a beautiful piece of architecture.

Catarman Cathedral

Catarman Cathedral

More photos after the JUMP.



Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!



Thank you for reading The Pinoy ExplorerAll contents of this blog, or otherwise stated, are copyrighted. For syndication, use of articles and photos, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

12 comments :

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

Yay! Sir Ding naiinggit ako sa Samar Trip mo :)
Biri Island and Sohoton Caves na po dali!

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, Edmar! I just hope I have more time for Biri next time.

Adelle said...

this is a very nice church. would love to visit samar again soon!

doi said...

sayang talaga di ka nakapag Biri. nag abot sana tayo dun. :-)

Nortehanon said...

Ah, thanks for visiting my province. Glad that you enjoyed Catarman.

Hope you'll be back for Biri and other really interesting spots in the Pacific area of Northern Samar.

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

was thinking of sleeping here for the night after finding out that i cannot sleep at catarman's airport :P

Admin/Author said...

Doi, oo nga eh, I hope to be able to explore it soon!

Admin/Author said...

Nortehanon, you are welcome! It is a privilege and honor to have explored the place!

Admin/Author said...

Christian, I think madami naman ang lodging houses sa Catarman. I am not sure kung papayagan ka matulog dito sa simbahan. Hehehe.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

ask ko lng kung anu contact# ng our lady of annunciation cathedral.im fr manila,kuha sana ako baptismal papa ko.tnxnadvnce😀