Bohol | Valencia's Sto. Niño Church


Valencia, Bohol | Sto. Niño Church

Despite its size and elegant architectural design, and unlike many churches, its unpainted exterior makes this church less eye-catching. Not knowing any detail about this church made me more curious. I could have googled some information but that is not me--most of the time.

However, the church was closed, so I had to be content with photographing the exterior. Anyway, I thought, I was more interested in Dimiao Church. Suddenly from nowhere, the church caretaker appeared upon seeing us photographing and trying to get in the locked door.

Valencia, Bohol | Sto. Niño Church
The 8-point flower-shaped design at the transept.

While it was being opened, we were told by the caretaker that the church is special because its distinctive feature and pride is its wooden floor. Excitement grew inside me! Not that I have not seen a church with a wooden floor. Our university chapel has a wooden floor, just because it is on the second floor, but it was my first time to see an old, BIG church with a wooden floor! Of course, blog storylines kept running through my mind while scanning the interiors for photography subjects. With few minutes to spare, I had to forego some details inside the church and focus on its special feature--its floor.

The wooden floor is made of alternating dark (tindalo) and light (molave) wood planks. At the transept, an 8-point flower design is used for the floor while a herringbone pattern is used in the rest of the church.

Valencia, Bohol | Sto. Niño Church
The view from the pulpit.

Further research revealed that the construction phase was from 1870 to 1877 under the supervision of Fr. Mariano Cornago, while Fr. Francisco Arraya saw its completion, including the installation of the wooden floor from 1878 to 1892. (WikiPilipinas)

The church has a four-story facade and two pyramid towers. Like many churches, the church is cruciform. It has a steep roof but with an arched ceiling.

Another interesting fact about this church is its basement, which is only accessible to church workers.

The Sto. Niño church is located in the town of Valencia, which is 42 km. east of Tagbilaran City.

Valencia, Bohol | Sto. Niño Church


See more photos HERE.




Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!
-->

Thank you for reading The Pinoy ExplorerAll contents of this blog, or otherwise stated, are copyrighted. For syndication, use of articles and photos, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

2 comments :

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

First photo: *jawdrop*

at ang lawak ng interior the way I see on the photo :)
marami rin palang ganyang mga structures sa Bohol :)

Admin/Author said...

It is narrow, Edmar, and it is long.