Retro Borongan


Sleepless, tired and hungry from the 4-hour land trip from Tacloban and that bland and unappealing fried bangus for lunch in a fast-food joint in Uptown mall, Borongan City in Eastern Samar did not easily give that "wow" factor. It appears more like a sleepy town at the Eastern-most part of the Philippines.

I even thought it was boring and, save for century-old church, I even resigned to the strong possibility that I will not have a photo opportunity with my work-related travel in Borongan. It would be less interesting a travel for me because, aside from reports I will do, I might not be able to bring home stories from Borongan.

In the course of accomplishing my tasks--moving around and meeting people--I noticed something uniquely interesting in Borongan! Aside from its blue church (which I will blog about later), Borongan is teeming with old houses that are maintained up to this day!

Borongan has a hidden gem in its old houses. I thought, with all the old houses still intact, Borongan could be the next heritage town! However, like any other modernizing town due to fast-paced economy and mobility, new buildings and structures sprout after tearing the old ones down.

I just wish that the local government would be able to come up with policies and projects to preserve their town heritage.

Old houses beside the town plaza.

James McGuire Building, 1931





This house beside the James McGuire Bldg was built in 1919.














Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!



Thank you for reading The Pinoy ExplorerAll contents of this blog, or otherwise stated, are copyrighted. For syndication, use of articles and photos, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

11 comments :

Unknown said...

I love old structures especially old houses and the like. You never fail to amaze me with your adventures Sir :)

Admin/Author said...

Lovely architecture, indeed, gaze. Thanks!

Pinoy Adventurista said...

i wanna see those old houses... sana abutan ko pa... hehehe!

effort lang talaga pumunta ang layo from Tacloban... :)

Thanks for sharing Ding! :)

juanderfulpinoy said...

I am always surprised to see an old structures still standing perfectly. That's incredible!

Admin/Author said...

Aabutan mo pa yan, Mervin.

Admin/Author said...

Juanderful, yes, indeed. Nakakatuwa lang na may makita ka pang old structures in a fast developing town like Borongan.

Ada | Adaphobic Travels said...

There are few preserved old houses na lang sa buong Philippines. There are houses like that in San Roque, Marikina as well, but year by year, nawawala as napapalitan na ng modern. I just hope ipreserve na lang ng may-ari!

Admin/Author said...

Yes, I have seen that stretch of road sa Marikina. Nakapanghihinayang nga lang na mawala sila.

Adelle said...

i remember seeing houses like these in catbalogan...interesting architecture!

Traveling Morion/Jeffrey rilles said...

Ganda ng shots sir Ding! Sana mapreserve nila ang mga old houses. Imagine 1919 pa pala. Sa amin sa Marinduque madami pa rin ganito pero hindi maiwasan na kapag nasa sentro pag naging commercial narerenovate...

Admin/Author said...

Yeah, development is inevitable. Pero sana ma preserve nga ang mga ganitong architecture. But it all depends sa mga owners and support of local governments.