Eureka! | Bohol's Bahalina


One of the "perks" of my work is you get to meet communities and knowing a bit about their culture, as well as get a chance to taste their food and try their drink. My fellow bloggers were raving about bahalina, a local wine, and I was wondering how does it taste. When I had the second chance to go to Sitio Ilaya in Inabanga, Bohol, the community served bahalina.

Bahalina

I thought it was tuba. I had the chance of drinking tuba when I was in Quezon. I did not like the taste that I almost puked. I did not give in but the leader of the community told me it is not tuba. To make the immersion "complete" I gave in to a half-cup of bahalina--and I could say it tasted so good! I would have wanted a second "tagay" but we had more project sites to visit (which meant work, and I should not get drunk while working. LOL!).

How does it taste? it tastes like Maria Clara Sangria (or a sweet grape wine like Mompo) -- bitter-sweet but with a stronger kick that you would feel hot (no, not that "hot") -- you would literally perspire a lot! So if you have a chance to drink bahalina, it has to be on a colder part of the day.

How a bahalina is made, please jump here.



Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!



Thank you for reading The Pinoy ExplorerAll contents of this blog, or otherwise stated, are copyrighted. For syndication, use of articles and photos, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

6 comments :

Lakbay Diva said...

i love tuba! i'm from bohol and i get freebies from my uncle who has a restaurant and they sell tuba and bahalina. :D

Admin/Author said...

That's good to know Diva! The fringe benefits!

Traveling morion said...

Kala ok din tuba tol hahaha, matikman nga yan sir ding:)

Admin/Author said...

Go, Jeffrey! sarap nyan!

Adelle said...

it's always good to immerse yourself in the local culture, even if it means having to eat/taste/drink/wear/etc. the weirdest of things :)

asktrigo said...

I'm from Bohol but I never tried drinking bahalina haha..