SNAPSHOT | The Deck, Marco Polo Hotel-Davao



The Deck

March 9, 2008

I was photographing this beautiful scene when a man came and watched me--intently.  All the while I thought he was admiring my photography prowess (lols!).

When I was done, he asked me:  "You are?"  and I said, "I am Ding,"  then asked him who he was.

He introduced himself as the General Manager of Marco Polo Hotel - Davao.  Then he also asked me what the photo was for and if I was a guest.  Reading between the lines, I knew I was in trouble.

Matter-of-factly, I told him I was a guest, a hobbyist and this is for my personal use only.  He was kinda relieved that I am not a pro who might be "stealing" their architectural design or someone who would use it for advertising or commercial purposes.  So I told him, it was so beautiful I could not resist taking a photo of this one.  He told me that they usually do not allow their guests do some photography.  I was thankful he did not ask me to delete the photo, and instead wished me a great stay in their hotel.

So as a token, I am advertising for them.  This is called THE DECK at Marco Polo, where the spa and fitness center and a resto are located.  So when you visit Davao, stay at Marco Polo--superb customer service!




Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

11 comments :

Bonzenti [Con Tour Blog] said...

There's no such thing as stealing of architectural design, since every designer has its own unique and signature way in conceptualizing the same. They just dont know the ethical standards of builders and architects, ding. I hate people who are like that, apprehending photographers like us in snapshots wherein we are so fascinated.:-). I also respect their policy, in either way.

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

nabitin ako. so anung sabe nya after? hangtaray ha! =)

Ed said...

haha. kakatakot yun.. also had a similar experience when I was on top of our office building. It was a guard who called my attention. But I couldn't move as the shutter was still reading (mga 30 secs kasi) sa camera. I told the guard "wait..." but when he got a little impatient, he just let me carry on with my photography. --- these are the shots that i took - http://soloflighted.com/2009/03/04/busy-busy-again-2/

Admin/Author said...

@Bonzenti, yeah, but I was inside their property. It would have been different when I was taking my own photo...I agree, establishment owners must not prohibit photographing their establishments.

@Pinaysolobackpacker, I almost ran into him again during their visit to our davao office then. They serenaded the staff for patronizing their hotel. I wanted to re-introduce myself, pero nahiya ako. besides the big bosses were all around him. LOL.

@Ed, kainis no? LOL!

Pinoy Adventurista said...

haha! may ganun pala... buti nalang I haven't experience that... free ads na tuloy... hehehe!

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

Pwede rin naman picturan ng celphone yun tas kopyahin.

Discrimination talaga sa malalaking cameras.

Sosyal ng pinagstayan mo ah hehe

lakwatsera de primera said...

Bawal pala yun, as long as guest ka sa hotel pwede naman magkodakan yata. Baka masyado yatang intimidating yung camera mo Ding :) In fairness ganda ng night shot.

adventurousfeet said...

he should be thankful pa nga kasi napromote mo pa ang hotel nila. hangtaray ni kuya, sakit sa bangs hehe. Ganda ng place, and your picture is so pretty :)

Admin/Author said...

@Pinoy Adventurista, ganun na nga. LOL!

@Christian, company expense yun...hehe

@lakwatsera, hindi naman. hehe.

@adventuroysfeet, oo nga. Salamat!

Salamat sa comments and for taking time reading this entry.

Sara Jones21 said...

Thank you for writing on this topic with such flair.various viewpoints that match my own!Online Hotel Advertising in India

Micole l PhilippineTraveler said...

Yes, actually, medyo strict nga ng konti ang Marco Polo. Atleast the manager is just doing his Job at that. The pool deck of Marco Polo is really an attraction. This is usually where wedding photos are taken especially sa gabi pagmag night swimming ka.. ang ganda. Being from Davao sir, Thanks for the advertisement! I hope you visit other places pa po dito!