Photowalking Coorg

Page was explored times

Photowalking Coorg

For the past days, I was in India, the schedule had always been hectic and waking up in different places every day was a given fact. No matter how much I liked to linger on, just like what I ought to have during the morning walk in Udupi, it was not just possible with the limited time. I still had three days left and this would be my last time to have a morning walk again in India so I had to make the most out of it in Coorg. Gladly, this was on a Sunday and we had our own sweet time to savor and enjoy.

Photowalking Coorg

Also known as Kodagu District in the state of Karnataka, Coorg is known for its coffee estates that boast of sophisticated coffee production technology. It is the second biggest coffee producer in India. However, we did not come here for coffee. We were just passing through after a trip from Udupi and a short educational trip and dinner of chicken burger and fries at the KFC in Mangalore--a welcome relief from South Indian spicy entrees from morning till night, and quite a respite from spice-induced tummy growls.

Even the night before, my mind was already set--to do a photo walk and to see the things lurking in the dark when we arrived in the middle of the night. It was also a time to be alone and detach myself from the whining about the food, the food, and the food!

The traveler and explorer in me had to shrug these things off because I cannot simply allow myself to take part in this growing discomfort. I had to take a breather and just enjoy everything around me. To me, there were more important things about the "exotic-ness" of the exotic food.

As a frequent traveler, I have learned that to be able to survive in a new place, one has to appreciate the culture that goes with the "taste". Everything is a learning experience--no more, no less. I guess that explains a lot, too, why I like some South Indian food.

The next day, my motivation was high--simply to cherish everything around me, no matter how mundane or how familiar things would be.

Photowalking Coorg

Indeed, after seeing some familiar things, there is nothing spectacular about it. Tagaytay is even better than this, I thought. There are also guard dogs that bark and chase you. Same trees. Same grass. Same flowers. Perhaps, better buildings.

But the inquisitive traveler in me pushed me to look for something unique in this place. From a single step, I took a hundred more or so--and I was not disappointed. Indeed, there is something different and amiable about this place. It is not the usual resort on the hills. Add to it the fact that this place was something new to me.

Photowalking Coorg

While one can see the usual trees, familiar shrubs and flowers, barking and chasing dogs, and the rest of nature, quiescence pervaded the place. In the rural Philippines, one can see a lot of people roaming the streets by this time. I realized I was almost alone on the road, save for one rickshaw that passed by and the barking dog that almost chased me.

The other discovery is the rooted-ness of Hindu religion in nature. While one can regard a tree as an ordinary living thing, some trees in trees and even pebbles are venerated in India. Usually, they venerate banyan trees as the incarnation of Krishna. A simple and lifeless stone represents a bull that is considered holy--and no one is allowed to step on or touch trees in a sacred place of worship like this.

Photowalking Coorg

Photowalking Coorg

Photowalking Coorg

And of course, there were a few things I took fancy while seeing through my lens.

Photowalking Coorg

Photowalking Coorg



Photowalking Coorg

Overall, the early morning sweat and the chasing dog were all worth it.




This is the 5th leg of my
Please come back for more stories while exploring and learning about the State of Karnataka in India.













Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!



Thank you for reading The Pinoy Explorer! You can also like The Pinoy Explorer on Facebook All contents of this blog, or otherwise stated, are copyrighted. For syndication, use of articles and photos, send me an e-mail. Thank you!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

No comments :