Calapan Bay by day and night

Pin It


Calapan Bay by day and night

Going to and from fieldwork in Oriental Mindoro gave me the chance to appreciate the beauty of Calapan Bay. I was billeted in Calapan Bay hotel, a stone's throw away from Calapan City Pier. For the first 3 days, I was disappointed. It was always raining. On the 4th and 5th day of my stay in the hotel, bright sunny mornings greeted me. It was a break from gloomy breakfasts.

Initially, I thought it was just an ordinary daily scene. But then peeping through the grills of the fence that separates the sea and the hotel, I noticed some people gleaning (it was a low tide).  Again, another dramatic scene I always wanted to capture through my lenses.  So, I dashed back to my room and grabbed my camera backpack and in minutes, I was shooting the beautiful scenery. Thus for three mornings, what could be better than enjoying the morning sun, sniffing the salty sea air, savoring your coffee while admiring this God-given scenery?  Lovely, isn't it?

1N172738 copy
The view from Calapan Bay Hotel's rear veranda.

1N192886 copy
A fisherman catching some fish.

1N172768 copy
Wide view of Calapan City Pier.

1N172742 copy
A gleaner, apparently collecting clams and other edibles.

However, I did not have much chance of capturing Calapan Bay by nightfall.  It was either raining at night or too late when I reach the hotel from fieldwork.  I had a full week and felt drained and sometimes I would just doze off until dinner time.

When it was dinnertime on my second to the last night in the hotel, a beautiful sunset became a reliever to my worn out body. Again, I ran back to my room to get my camera! (I seem to have a penchant for not bringing my camera with me! Well, it happens.  Besides I had to dine and not shoot.).

 Thinking that sunsets happen so fast I felt I had to do it again. Unlike my other previous sunset photos, it was not very dramatic, but then, sunsets always fascinate me. I was careful not to have camera shake as I did not have a tripod with me (Yeah, a lame excuse!). I tried on some, but I only made some good shots, especially in some long exposures, and increasing the ISO is the only way to have it fast.

1N172795 copy
Sunset in Calapan Bay.

1N172785 copy
Super Cat heading to Batangas Port. Trying on an incandescent white balance.

Again, I am just happy to share with you some photos of Calapan Bay by day and night.  I hope you like what I saw.

For more photos, please visit the Calapan Bay set in Flickr.




-->

Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

15 comments :

AJ said...

First time to see photos of Calapan. Beautiful shots you got there. And I must say you captured that sunset quite wonderfully. So please, next time always have your camera with you. :))

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, AJ! Yeah, I should make it a point to bring a camera with me anywhere I go...LOL!

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...

Our office is in Puerto Galera so sometimes I go to Calapan. Never saw it (yet) like you did though. Wonderful pics! Just love your header. Hope I'll learn to take good pics as well :D

Admin/Author said...

Aleah, thanks! I miss PG also.

Henry said...

I was amazed by the sunset shot, I like the sky color combination.

Bonzenti [Con Tour] said...

Ding. I loved all the shots on this post. I learned also about the long exposure and increase the ISO when taking a shot on sunsets. Thanks bro. :-).

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

Hala, nakaka-ignite gumala ulit. My last major trip was June... Inggit ako sa Calapan mo, nak Puerto Galera ka rin?

Admin/Author said...

@henry, Thanks!
@Bonz, up to 400 ISO lang puwede. Grainy na masyado if more than that
@Edmaration, go na! Hindi na ako nakapunta PG. Out of the way eh.

Chris E said...

Beautiful pictures! What camera do you use?

Admin/Author said...

@Chris, Thanks! I use Olympus E-510.

Arlene @Pinay Travels said...

Beautiful shots! I love sky captures...so much to love about the sky.

I wish someday, I can make it there. :)

Admin/Author said...

Thank you, Arlene! Mindoro Oriental has a lot more to offer!

Tal | ThePinayWanderer said...

I am a Mindorena by heart and your photos bring back a lot of memories, esp. the fourth and fifth ones. I used to live in Pola (Mdo. Or.) but it's been years since my last visit. Hope to visit the province again soon. :)

Admin/Author said...

PinayWanderer, I went to Pola too! Nice quaint town!

Pinay Travel Junkie said...

Sunsets always, always fascinate me as well! I love the photo of the fisherman catching fish, and how the water reflects his image.