SNAPSHOT | Dagdagan: Igorot foot massage


Igorot Foot Spa


In 2007, I attended the Launch of the First National Weaving Congress in Mt. Data Hotel, Bauko, Mountain Province. We were treated to a cultural presentation. One of the highlights of the presentation is the Igorot foot spa, where some participants obliged.

The foot massage, according to Manong who gave me one after the conference, is a pastime of elderly men. After a hard day’s work, their sons would be obliged to give them the foot massage in their huts. The “technology” uses coconut oil and two sticks of bamboo (similar to chopsticks) which are rubbed alternately on their soles until they become relaxed and eventually doze off.

Of course, I did not let this pass.  When I had mine in my room, it gave me that tingling feeling, which really soothes you with the “kiliti”, until you become more at ease and accustomed with the rubbing of sticks on your soles and in between your digits. I think the secret there is the “kiliti” factor which runs up to your spine and head until you get goosebumps (got the idea?). It feels like is synonymous with experiencing laughter, which makes you secrete some hormones that will calm you down after.

While we hanker for other Asian-type massages (e.g. Thai, Chinese reflexology), it came as a surprise, even among the other Cordillera participants, that we have this indigenous way of relaxation.


Reblogged from Inkblots: Life as it happens






Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

14 comments :

Rome Diwa said...

Thanks for dropping by my website. yours is very helpful cus im plannin to explore the mountains on the 1st quarter, so Im your new follower. Cool website my short stay is fun, will definitely go back.

crazy sexy fun traveler said...

I am a huge fan of foot massage ... actually all kinds of massages :D

Admin/Author said...

@Rome, thanks!
@CSFT, same here!

Thanks for dropping by!

Jonna || The BRATpacker said...

Is it called "dagdagan"? I went to a spa in Makati last year that does that, too, and they said that the practice came from the North nga raw :)

Admin/Author said...

Jonna, wow! Thanks for that info...

Micamyx|Senyorita said...

I would love to try that one! :D

Admin/Author said...

Worth to try!

lakwatsera de primera said...

Galing, meron na tayong pandagdag sa traditional hilot :)

Unknown said...

Very relaxing :) I envy you. I should try that one! :)

Admin/Author said...

Indeed, Lakwatsera. I think they are giving it in casa Vallejo in Baguio as one of the massages.

caloy said...

wow.. i want one now (actually, i NEED one now hehe..)

i hope you can visit my blogs toO!

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, caloy. I sure will.

Essential feeling said...

Foot massage is great.Its very relaxing and having it included in a body massage can relax you even more

Ronald I Bremer said...

After the working day we all need some rest. Comfortable furniture is must for rest for that i use best foot massager reviews. I love to use foot massager reviews. It's really very comfortable to use.