SNAPSHOT | "Jolibee" in Kuching City

"Jolibee" in Kuching



May 22, 2009

In 2009, I had the chance to do a short-term consulting for a Malaysian company, particularly in Kuching City in the state of Sarawak on the island of Borneo.  After a meeting with my client, I went down for a smoke when I spotted this, which 200 meters across another block. Seeing a similar and familiar brand name in a foreign country made it quite interesting!

So I took out my camera, changed into my 300mm and voila!  By the way, this is not a Filipino restaurant.  Apparently, this looks like a Chinese restaurant.  There is only one Filipino store in the whole of Kuching City though, which is located in Jalan Padungan.  Too bad, the "Pinoy Restaurant" was closed when I went there, which was on a Sunday.

Some facts about Kuching:
Kuching is the capital of the East Malaysian state of Sarawak. Being the most populous city in the state of Sarawak, Kuching emerged as one of the most vibrant cities in the region and it is the largest city on the island of Borneo and the fourth largest city in Malaysia. Kuching was elevated to city status on 1 August 1988 and carries the nick name of Cat City. (Wikipedia)




Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!



Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

6 comments :

ivanlakwatsero said...

ang weird.

Pack up and Drift said...

cool. I thought jolibee talaga..

lakwatsera de primera said...

Akala ko "wrong spelling wrong" lang na Jolibee :) I was about to include it already in our itinerary to Borneo.

Admin/Author said...

@ "BL" oo nga eh.
@ "PA&D" it did brought a smile on my face
@Claire, go na sa Kuching. Nice, quiet place.

ian said...

hmm imitation being the best form of flattery, i wonder if this sits well with Jollibee... i'm reminded of the case of Big Mak, in Quezon/Laguna, I believe, which got sued by McDonalds for obvious reasons. if i'm not mistaken, McDonalds LOST because Big Mak was able to prove they existed in the PHL way before the McDonalds franchise was brought here or something... *first time here, happy to have stumbled upon it =]*

Admin/Author said...

Doc Ian, Yeah, I remember that case. So far there is no Jollibee branch in Kuching yet...But definitely, this would be a problem if they would put up one there.