Pristine Selinog


Pristine Selinog Island

One of the perks of being in development work is the chance to move around the country. For the past 11 years, I have been going in and out of Mindanao, particularly Davao, Zamboanga Peninsula, CDO, etc. I only regret now that I have not blogged about them earlier. This includes the pristine and beautiful Selinog Island, off the coast of Dapitan.

It was just a photo, and my friends were immediately captivated by its rustic beauty. Although I have not been to many beaches in the country, I would say that Selinog Island, is one of the best. Going here takes a full two (2) hours from Dapitan City via a 4-tonner boat (which is huge, and it is advisable that you hire a big boat for a trip to the island).

The small community lives on fishing, some crops, sari-sari store, and salt-making, which happens to be one of the alternative livelihood in the community. The salt-making projects were managed by a local fisherfolk association and supervised by the City Agriculture Office of Dapitan City.

The downside, however, is that the island does not have fresh water and the community depends only on rainwater. During the summer months, they have to fetch water either from Dapitan City or the nearby Apo Island in Negros Oriental.

I regret that I do not have plenty of photos to share since I did not have a personal camera then. Nonetheless, I am sharing a few.

Crystal Clear

Selinog Is. Light House

Selinog Island






Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!


Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

No comments :