Photographing Negros Occidental Capitol building, park and lagoon


Negros Occiental Capitol


We planned to immediately visit Negros Occidental Provincial Capitol right after our Mambukal adventure which I blogged about here and here. Unfortunately, however, heavy rains greeted us as soon as we arrived in Bacolod City.  It did not augur well for landscape and architecture photography. Besides the kids were too exhausted from the Mambukal seven (7) falls trek that they fell asleep immediately upon hitting the bed.

We had no choice but to rest and wait for the rain to subside, which was around 5PM already. It was also in time for our dinner at the Old Pala-pala. There was no longer rain, but the lighting was bad. With the setting sun at the back of the capitol building, it would be very challenging for photography. (Mental note: If I have the chance to return, I'll make sure I will photograph this building again in the morning.)


Nonetheless, I had to make do with the available lighting and looked for interesting viewpoints and perspectives, and decided to come back later after dinner for night shots. I realized I should have lingered a little longer for the twilight. Be that as it may, I was lucky to still have some decent photos of the capitol grounds and lagoon.

11049774
The Capitol Building as seen through the puddle after the rain.

11049801
One of the three sculptures around the lagoon that were executed by Italian sculptor Francesco Riccardo Monti. 

11049812
The lagoon.  People converge to this place for fitness or to while away time.

11049882
The Capitol Building illuminated at night.


The Negros Occidental Capitol building is replete with colorful historical and artistic facts.  This imposing piece of architecture is not just a building, per se, but a fitting reminder of the rich history, culture, and arts thriving in this part of the Philippines as well as reflective of the affluent lifestyle of Negrenses.

  1. The Capitol was built from 1924-35, following the Beaux Art style favored by the city planner Daniel Burnham; (Heritage Conservation Society)
  2. Francesco Riccardo Monti, an Italian artist, executed the woman and man with a water buffalo which are installed at the northern and southern sides of the man-made lagoon, also did the sculptures of the Metropolitan Manila Theater and the University of the Philippines - Visayas Iloilo campus; (Wikipedia)
  3. It housed the provincial government but due to lack of maintenance, it fell into a shabby condition and was abandoned.   It was turned over to Negros Cultural Foundation which then converted it into the Negros Museum that opened in 1996 until it was transferred again to the provincial government to house its offices. (Negros Museum)
  4. This building was considered by the late National Artist for Architecture, Leandro V. Locsin, as the most beautiful capitol building in the Philippines because of it's fine symmetry and proportion. (Negros Museum).
I would have wanted to capture its interiors and architectural details, but I was pressed for time.  Nonetheless, it is an honor for me to capture in photos one important and historical architecture. I just wish I could go back again to Bacolod City to capture, in detail, this historic piece of architecture.

CLICK HERE for more photos.


-->

Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

5 comments :

renevic | palaboy said...

Well photographed. More capitol please :)

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, renevic!

Pinoy Adventurista said...

I usually visit capitol building whenever I have the chance. This is one of the best capitol buildings and complexes I've been to so far... :)

Admin/Author said...

Hi mervs! yeah. maganda nga siya. Sayang lang hindi ko napasok ang loob.

IlonggaKo said...

Hi! I'm happy that you were able to get good photographs of the Capitol Lagoon. :) Good luck on your next trip here!