The charm of Nagbalayong beach



The charm of Nagbalayong beach


Aside from its famed Pawikan Conservation Center, Brgy. Nagbalayong in Morong, Bataan also boasts of its fine and pristine coastline and wide beach.  Although not fit for swimming because of its strong undercurrents, it's rustic charm still awes the senses.  Nagbalayong beach, which is seven (7) kilometers long happens to be a nesting ground for pawikans (sea turtles).

With nothing to do after a quick lunch during our visit to the Pawikan Center, I took a short photo-walk to capture what the place can offer.  The sun that shone brightly was piercing into my skin, but I did not mind.  It has been a long time since I have gone to the sea and feel its cool and salty breeze on my face.  This fittingly reminds me of my short but frequent sojourns in Ragay Gulf working with the fisherfolks of Quezon. The smell of fish was like an aroma that opens the door to the memory lane--of the people I communed with, the  rustling and swaying coconut leaves, the salty water crushing against the rocks on the shoreline that formed and took some shape with the passing of time, of the sea that heaves and recedes in cadence with every breath.  


Nagbalayong is a fishing community and not your typical beach resort, but it offers many photographic subjects--nature and its people.  Indeed, I was not wrong with my decision to take a walk.  The scene was very typical of a fishing community--children walking along the beach selling some wares, boats docked on the shore, and people gathering around a fisherman who just came back from fishing--all of which were just perfect for some iconic shots I wanted.  And I am glad the people are not camera shy.  In fact, the boys were just so eager to pose in front of my camera and giggled afterward when I showed them their smiling faces on the screen!

So I am sharing with you some of my photos.  See more photos in my Flickr photostream.

11110264
Some of my fellow Pawikan Conservation Center visitors walking along the beach.

11110307
Taken from the shade outside the fence of the PCC.

11110315
Boat parked on the beach.

11110319
People gathered around this boat to buy fish and the boys asked for some freebies too!




-->
Do you like this article?  Like us on Facebook, too!

Admin/Author

Aside from my day job, I love photography and storytelling. Going places--be it a cliche destination or the far side of the road--stoke and free my soul. I dig deeper into the people’s psyche, culture and ethnicity, and heritage. I love to observe how they thrive and build social institutions, preserve their culture and traditions.

6 comments :

Pinoy Adventurista said...

wow! i didn't know that there are beautiful beaches in Bataan! Thanks for sharing this! By the way, great shots as always... :)

lakwatsera de primera said...

Para syang Agta Beach sa Pollilo, GG bayung isda sa last pic?

Admin/Author said...

@mervin, Thanks! Surprisingly, maganda ang Bataan especially yung papunta sa Mt. Samat.

@Claire, not sure about the fish...hehe..Thanks!

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

never heard of this beach. thanks for sharing! :)

Admin/Author said...

Thanks, Gael!

pimalai said...

It's really a shame that the undercurrents make this beach unfit for regular swimming. However, the waters do look like they could of some use for surfers.